RPR5 Entertainment Lawyers
In the sporting arena disputes such as the following may arise:
• Contractual disputes
• Anti-doping rule violation disputes
• Selection and eligibility disputes
• Disciplinary disputes
• Restraint of trade disputes
• Discrimination, harassment or bullying related disputes
Disputes can be resolved either internally or externally. Internal resolution in the sports industry refers to the mechanism by which disputes or conflicts arising within the context of sports are resolved within the sports organization or governing body itself, rather than through external legal processes such as litigation or arbitration.
Many sports organisations have established their own internal dispute resolution systems to handle conflicts that may arise among athletes, teams, coaches, officials, or other stakeholders. These systems aim to provide a fair and efficient process for resolving disputes, maintaining the integrity of the sport, and ensuring the consistent application of rules and regulations.
The specific internal resolution mechanisms can vary between sports organisations, but they often include the following elements:
1. Disciplinary Committees or Tribunals: These committees or tribunals are responsible for addressing rule violations, misconduct, or breaches of sports regulations. They have the authority to investigate complaints, hold hearings, and impose disciplinary measures such as fines, suspensions, or disqualifications.
2. Mediation: Mediation involves a neutral third party facilitating discussions between parties in conflict to help them reach a mutually acceptable resolution. In sports, mediation may be used to resolve disputes between athletes, teams, or other stakeholders by promoting dialogue and finding common ground.
On the occasion the above disputes cannot be resolved internally, they may be resolved externally. Avenues for external resolution includes litigation (Civil or Criminal court) or Arbitration through the National Sports Tribunal (NST), Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
At Rep-Revive Entertainment law® we are skilled in all kinds of sports law including all matters set out above.